Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 6: Mansfeld (Rob Matsick)


Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be a prisoner in a cool 1930’s fugitive movie?  I know, I think about it every day too.  And today I fulfilled that dream by moving large rocks at Mansfeld Castle to reciprocate the largesse that the castle workers showed us.  We lodged, ate, and more importantly acted like we had never seen the outside world as we climbed on ornate walls, some of which were collapsing thanks to the perennial impact of the windy German countryside.  I will reluctantly admit that I took a “slightly” extended break from helping with odd jobs on the premises after lunch to pretend I was an invading Mongolian attempting to breach the ostensibly impenetrable walls (forgive me for mixing up my continents).  Some of the views I witnessed while climbing were absolutely beautiful—dare I say idyllic—as innumerable houses with their red pitched roofs and large patches of untouched forests dotted the gorgeous, rolling German countryside.  I used to have a tiny fear of heights, but the self-admittedly unfathomable acrobatics that I performed hundreds of feet above the town on the castle walls allowed me to shake any remaining fear I may have possessed.  After climbing up the scaffolding during my “break” (we didn’t actually do this and I’m making it all up if Pastor Mark did not approve of us climbing up the scaffolding), Adam, Marty, and I witnessed one of the most surreal views at the top of the castle that I have ever seen.  Before coming, if someone asked me to paint a portrait of what I imagined Germany to look like and if I had the requisite artistic ability to pull off such a masterpiece, I think I would have painted what I saw from that balcony. 

It may seem trite to say that God can be seen in beautiful landscapes, but I don’t care because that’s exactly what I’m saying now.  We sat enjoying the view and chuckling at our friends (who I enjoyably thought to be my loyal serfs at that moment) who were sweeping and raking underneath, and I genuinely felt that God’s image was imprinted in each leaf.  As useful and impactful as sermons and hymns can be, the proof of God for me often lies outside of churches and in scenes like this.  I want to thank Pastor Mark, our German friends (especially all of the ones who made my life by knowing the lyrics to “Wonderwall” by Oasis) and the rest of the LCM community for allowing me to have such an amazing opportunity to get closer to my friends and God, even if I converted from Presbyterianism (gasp!) to Lutheranism recently.  I’ve had an amazing time, and with God’s graces it will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment